You Hurt My Feelings
1h 32m Comedy | Drama
From acclaimed filmmaker Nicole Holofcener comes a sharply observed comedy about a novelist whose long standing marriage is suddenly upended when she overhears her husband give his honest reaction to her latest book. A film about trust, lies, and the things we say to the people we love most.
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Tobias Menzies & Michaela Watkins
- "Holofcener weaves these people and their problems together in delicate fashion, guiding us toward her thematic conclusions in a way that never feels starchy, didactic, too lesson-oriented. She’s got a light touch, a humane one too."
- Vanity Fair
- "There’s a modesty about YOU HURT MY FEELINGS that makes it seem in some ways as simple and straightforward as its title. But Holofcener is such a gifted writer that it becomes a mosaic of mildly absurd minutiae, mixed in with legitimate feelings."
- The Hollywood Reporter
- "It’s a sweet, slight film about the nagging worry at the back of every artist’s head: they’re actually just a mediocre talent, being politely humored by their friends and family"
- Little White Lies
- "It achieves a level of total stylistic commitment more common in European art cinema than American indies, but with a voice all its own."
- Financial Times
- "A barbed comedy about human failings and the equally human tendency not to be truthful about them."
- Toronto Star
- "Holofcener deftly juggles the emotions of every character, parsing exactly where each is coming from, lucidly and thoughtfully elaborating her script with their specific insecurities."
- The Film Stagex
- "The resulting film is warm-hearted and rueful and hilarious in all the best ways."
- "It’s both smart and entertaining."
- TIME Magazine
- "One of [Holofcener's] smartest and funniest films."
- Sundance Film Festival