How to Have Sex
Winner of the Un Certain Regard Prize at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival, HOW TO HAVE SEX is a vibrant and authentic depiction of the agonies, ecstasies and ride-or-die glory of young female friendship, from rising British filmmaker Molly Manning Walker.
Three British teenage girls go on a rites-of-passage holiday, drinking, clubbing and hooking up in what should be the best summer of their lives. As they dance their way across the sun-drenched streets of Malia, they find themselves navigating the complexities of sex, consent and self-discovery.
Captured with luminous visuals and a pitch-perfect soundtrack, Manning Walker’s directorial debut paints a painfully familiar portrait of young adulthood, and how first sexual experiences should – or shouldn’t – play out.
Molly Manning Walker
Mia McKenna-Bruce, Shaun Thomas, Lara Peake
United Kingdom, Greece
- "By bringing to the screen a conversation painfully reserved to private spaces built upon the frail structures of shame and guilt without ever losing the type of loving lightness one can only get through unwavering support, Molly Manning-Walker confidently steps out of the gate right foot forward."
- The Playlist
- "That Walker knows how to handle such things without being sensationalistic, as well as tenderly sketching the tension and sensitivity that characterize female friendships at that age, is what keeps the film from being a boozy, sunburnt tragedy."
- Rolling Stone
- "This is an interestingly unsentimental film, without the coming-of-age cliches, and one from which the three leads emerge stronger and happier than before."
- The Guardian
- "Manning Walker’s wily command of tone and glistening sweat and DayGlo visuals do make you pine to be young again for the first half hour or so of this."
- The Telegraph
- "This is an unsparing look at the realities of mixing puberty, alcohol, and hazy ideas about sexual consent."
- London Evening Standard
- "As enthralling as it is important, HOW TO HAVE SEX neatly depicts the joy and pain of teenage girlhood."
- Sophie Butcher
- "HOW TO HAVE SEX is a wild and fun ride, whose sober moments are as important as they are uncomfortable."
- Anna Smith
- "This is fresh, passionate, and remarkably assured filmmaking, made with ample energy and even more exhilarating clarity of vision."
- Cannes Film Festival
- British Independent Film Awards
- European Film Awards
- Stockholm Film Festival
- Valladolid Int'l Film Festival
- Athens Int'l Film Festival
- Hamburg Film Festival
- Toronto Int'l Film Festival
- Melbourne Int'l Film Festival
- New Zealand Int'l Film Festival
- Calgary Int'l Film Festival
- Vancouver Int'l Film Festival
- Busan Int'l Film Festival
- Stockholm Int'l Film Festival
- Sundance Film Festival
- Jerusalem Film Festival
- Zurich Film Festival
- BFI London Film Festival
- and more...